About Universal Records

My photo
Quezon City, Philippines
Universal Records is the NUMBER ONE independent record label in the Philippines. Bringing you quality music for the past 30 years, we are home to artists like: Jose Mari Chan, Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcasid, Regine Velasquez, Lani Misalucha, Jed Madela, Christian Bautista, Jay R, Billy Crawford, Kris Aquino, Edu Manzano, Marian Rivera, Mark Herras, Nina, Ronnie Liang, Gail Blanco, Sam Concepcion. Our band roster includes: Parokya Ni Edgar, Kamikazee, Sponge Cola, Imago, Silent Sanctuary, Kenyo, Paraluman. We are equally committed to bring you exciting international releases covering various genres like pop, jazz, new age, classical, alternative, indie pop, rock, electronica, dance, r&b, and hip-hop. Name it, we definitely have it!

August 17, 2009

The Phil. Star | One On One, As One

CONVERSATIONS With Ricky Lo
The Philippine Star
August 16, 2009

The first time I met Gary it was like going to a new school in another country where it was almost magical to find one out of the many students to have so much in common with. We had the same likes and dislikes in cars, music, singers and girls.

I remember going to his house sharing dreams about becoming big stars one day not knowing that we would be pitted against each other somewhere down the road. Those were good and innocent days. Then the harmony between us seemed unbreakable until the day the business that has been so very good to us both made us rivals.

In many ways I think I have gotten as far as I have, thanks to Gary. Just like McDonald’s should thank Jollibee, I thank Gary for those days. They were not fun at the time, but competition never is unless you win. But for Gary and I, it was never winning or losing. It was ALWAYS about how we play the gig. I think I can speak for Gary when I say, for us there is no show too big or too small. We live and breathe when we are on stage and this will forever be our common bond that keeps us together no matter how they try to pull us apart.

The first time I saw Gary perform on Penthouse Live I knew without a doubt he would be a huge star…I hate it when I am right.

* * *
Gary for me is a perfectionist almost to a fault. What is good enough for most is a work in progress for Mr. Pure Energy. His work ethics is like no other. If he doesn’t have a full grasp of every detail of every song he studies, sings, writes or dances to, for Gary it’s a failure. I only know one other person who had this same quality about him and that is Michael Jackson...

Read the full write-up here:
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=496426&publicationSubCategoryId=70

No comments: